Monday, August 22, 2011

Meeting Our Daughter


We went up to the hospital on Saturday afternoon, where we met Delanie's birthmother, birth-grandmother and her birthmother's best friend.  After we visited with them, the birth-grandmother went with us and the social workers up to the nursery so we could meet our daughter.  I remember being terrified to meet her.  I was terrified because I already loved this little girl more than I ever thought imaginable, but I was still trying to guard my heart.  Her birth-grandmother got her out of the nursery, and the nurse let us go down to a little media room in the pediatrics department so we could hold her.

Her birth-grandmother took her out of the bassinet and handed her to me saying "Here is your mommy."  I almost shattered into a million pieces.  This was all really happening.  Delanie was waking up and she had the most adorable face.  Craig & I proceeded to investigate our little bundle, while Delanie investigated us. The birth-grandmother took pictures for us and proceeded to tell us a little bit more about their family and Delanie's birthmother.


Here are a few pictures from our first meeting.










Proud mommy & daddy.

Checking every last toe.  See all of that wavy, black hair?
Our first diaper change.  Little Delanie definitely gave us a run for our money on this first diaper change. I did't know a little person could give off so much poop!!  Let's just say that there was no need to worry if her little body was working as it should.

Our little angel.  So pretty despite the stained hospital digs.  I had no idea that I should have taken a suit of clothes for her to wear.  (But don't worry, Mommy fixed that early the next morning.)

We left the hospital over joyed, but still extremely nervous.  The birthmother still had over 24 hours to change her mind about placing Delanie.  All we could do was pray for God's will to be done, and that everyone in the situation would find His peace.  I finally got a good night's sleep for the first time since we received the call that we were matched.  Knowing she was here, safe, and would hopefully go home with us, made for very sweet dreams that night.

1 comment:

  1. I am sitting at my desk crying like a little baby--so amazing!

    ReplyDelete