Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hmmm~Butter

I made my own butter.......what?  Yup, I'm trying all kinds of crazy domestic stuff these days.  Here's how my butter making went.

I first used a turkey baster to suck off the cream off of the raw milk (from our dairy).  Then I let it get to 54 degrees.  Then I put it in the stand mixer to let it "churn".  I really want a nice food processor for this.

After that totally messy process, I washed the butter and separated the butter from the buttermilk.  Never having made butter until recently with some friends, I did not know that buttermilk was the liquid left from the butter making process.  Chalk it up to my childhood in modern society!

After kneading the water out of the butter, I have unsalted butter!  Ready for some biscuits! Yum yum!  

I plan to make some cream biscuits tonight with the lighter cream that I also pulled off of the whole raw milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment