Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cheeseheads~Part 2

Ok, where were we~oh we left Craig "working" the curds.

After, the curds are worked-the whey is then drained out.  Whey can be used to make ricotta or to thicken things like soup.  We tasted the whey-I was not impressed, but I think it would be really great in my chicken & dumplings.












 While the whey is draining you have to move the curds back and forth so that it drains very well.

 Here is a close up of the curds after it has drained.  We also tasted the curds.  They are called "sweaky cheese" up north.  I have read that they are really good fried.  The other day when Craig helped make Cheddar, they had to break up all of the curds and salt them.  He said that was a really labor intensive process.  

This is what was left after all of the whey was drained off.  We started with about 90 gallons of raw cow milk.

Next, the curds are packed into the molds.  The molds are prepped with cheesecloth. You have to pack with lots of pressure to get the remaining whey out of the curds.

 Here is Craig packing some Manchego curds that were seasoned with sweet cherries.  We also made a batch that was seasoned with chipotle and cumin.  Manchego is very good paired with wine.


Last, the molds are pressed.  They stay pressed for a specified amount of time depending on the type of cheese.  The curds are taken out of the molds, flipped, and redressed at different intervals-depending again on the cheese that is made.  Also, pictured is Scott Simon.  He as been fantastic helping us to learn how to make cheese and to allow us to help him at his shop.  Monday morning he made us the best sandwiches.  He has a fresh whole wheat bread that he makes, and he panni pressed it filled with cheese and bacon.  He made mine with Havarti.  Craig's was made with jalapeno Cheddar.   Oh, my.  If you live in the Waco area and you haven't visited his shop for lunch-you must go.  It is fantastic.  And he sells Wiseman House Chocolates.

No adoption news, but I did have a creepy dream last night.  I dreamed that the agency called us that we had been chosen.  Well, that would be great.  The scary part was that I dreamed of a set of twins.  They were boys.  We had to go to the agency in snow and the entire way I was frantic because we didn't have another boy name picked out.  I know I am totally crazy.  I wasn't worried about getting two children at once-I was worried I didn't have a second name!  Craig said if that came true I had a heck of a lot more to worry about besides a name!  He also said that if that occurred-I could choose both names because he would be comatose!  So-now if the freaky-scary occurs-it is in writing that I get to choose the names!!

1 comment: